Welcome to my world...

Let me begin by telling you I’m not a nutritionist, dietician, or Cordon Bleu Chef. I’ve never even worked in a restaurant. What I am is a wife of over 30 years, a mother, and a grandmother who loves to cook. I have, at times, needed to use all “101 Ways to Cook Hamburger”, made tuna casserole and split pea soup until my husband begged for mercy…and had fun doing it.

As times and finances improved, so did my repertoire. I had the freedom to try more exotic fare, like pork chops. By the time the kids were in high school, I had progressed as far as shrimp and crab. Now the kids are all grown up, it’s just the two of us, and I’ve had to re-learn to cook yet again. Of course, trying new foods and new recipes is part of the fun. My motto is “I’ve never met a recipe I didn’t change.”

That’s what this blog is about, sharing recipes, stories and memories. So, enjoy your food, enjoy your life. And most importantly, don’t forget to have fun, playing with your food.

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Feeding Vikings

Watching the Oregon Ducks beat the tar out of the Tennessee Volunteers this afternoon made me a bit homesick for the days when my boys played high school football. 
 In a small town, everybody shows up for games, whether they have kids on the team or not. When the team made it to state, the Tacoma Dome had more Orcas people in the stands then fans from the more local opponent.
   
      For several years, we spent most Saturdays in the stands or on the sidelines at Buck Park, cheering for our Vikings. Often, eagles soared overhead. My husband, like most of the dads, would pace the length of the field, following the action, shouting encouragement. I found I had a better view from the bleachers, with the other moms. Sometimes, we got quite loud ourselves, clapping and chanting along with the pep squad:  "O-R-C-A-S…V-I-K-I-N-G-S…ORCAS (clap clap) VIKINGS (clap clap).
  It's been ten years since our youngest graduated, and my time as a football mom ended. Now, I'm just a fan.
          
There  were no lights on our field, so Varsity games always played on Saturday afternoon, usually starting at 1 or 2pm. When James was playing, we rarely got home before 5 or 6 on games day….hungry and ready to eat. I got into the habit of using the crock-pot, so dinner would be waiting for us, ready to be served up. It's a great feeling, coming home to the aroma of chili, pot roast, or a wonderfully hearty soup. This took a bit of morning time-management, but it was worth it. Sometimes, I got the bread machine out, too.
            This is one of our favorites, especially with homemade bread. The Guinness Stout adds a great richness, and helps to tenderize the meat.


Harvest Stew
       Serve with hot biscuits or fresh bread

1 lb. beef,  lamb, or venison, cut into cubes
⅓ cup seasoned flour
2 tbsp. oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 stalks celery, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
2 -3 medium Yukon gold potatoes, cubed
1 large or 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 ½ cups frozen mixed vegetables
Small, whole, fresh mushrooms (optional)
2 cups beef broth
1 - 12oz. bottle Guinness Extra Stout

Place the meat and flour in a bag, and shake to coat thoroughly.

Heat the oil to medium-high in a large, heavy pan. Cook the meat until brown. Place in crock-pot set on low. Add the vegetables Add the beef broth and stir well. Cover.

De-glaze the hot pan with the Guinness, being sure to loosen any bits. Let it boil at least 2 minutes, to evaporate the alcohol. Scrape the pan again, and add the liquid to the crock pot. Stir well. Cover and turn the temperature up to desired cook time.
 
Cook on high 4 to 5 hours, or med/low 7 to 8 hours.
 

No comments: