Welcome to my world...

Let me begin by telling you I’m not a nutritionist, dietician, or Cordon Bleu Chef. I’ve never even worked in a restaurant. What I am is a wife of over 30 years, a mother, and a grandmother who loves to cook. I have, at times, needed to use all “101 Ways to Cook Hamburger”, made tuna casserole and split pea soup until my husband begged for mercy…and had fun doing it.

As times and finances improved, so did my repertoire. I had the freedom to try more exotic fare, like pork chops. By the time the kids were in high school, I had progressed as far as shrimp and crab. Now the kids are all grown up, it’s just the two of us, and I’ve had to re-learn to cook yet again. Of course, trying new foods and new recipes is part of the fun. My motto is “I’ve never met a recipe I didn’t change.”

That’s what this blog is about, sharing recipes, stories and memories. So, enjoy your food, enjoy your life. And most importantly, don’t forget to have fun, playing with your food.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

December Birthdays

           Our family is heavy on December birthdays. My oldest son, my daughter, my niece, and my granddaughter all celebrate within a two week window, between the 9th and the 20th. With all those birthdays, and all the sweets that are around this time of year, it's a challenge to come up with something different. Being holiday time, it's also good to stay on a sane budget. Doing parties at home is a good start. Using discount stores and Goodwill also helps.
           Last Monday, Jordan turned six. At her request, she had a fancy "Mad Hatter" tea party, complete with all the trimmings. Jordan insisted that the invitations said "fancy", just to make sure...of course, Laura assured all the moms that fancy dress was optional.
          So, twelve little princesses in party dresses decorated dollar store easter hats with colored feathers and silk flowers. The only boy, 7-year-old cousin Jett, in shirt and tie, had a top hat to decorate. One of the moms helped with hot glue, another gave age-appropriate manicures, and another styled hair. When everyone was finished creating, we had a fashion parade through the house.
          Then it was time for snacks and presents. The tables were set with purple plastic tablecloths, white paper doilies, several borrowed teapots, and "crystal" teacups, actually re-
purposed punch  cups. Refreshments were hot cider, finger sandwiches, (cucumber with cream cheese, and peanut butter & jelly), and candle topped chocolate-cherry cupcakes.
         As usual, Laura out did herself with the cupcakes. Her creation was a combination of two recipes, and was absolutely delectable. With her permission, I'll share her version with you. A bit labor intensive, but rivals anything from a bakery.

Chocolate-Cherry Cupcakes
Makes about 24 cupcakes

Heat oven to 375f

1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
1 2/3 flat black cherry soda (or amount equal to water in mix directions)
1 30oz. can cherry pie filling
1 pint heavy whipping cream
24 maraschino cherries

Prepare cake per box directions, substituting cherry soda for the water. Fill paper lined cupcake tin about 2/3 full. Bake as directed.

When completely cool, use a sharp paring knife to cut a small hole in the top of each cupcake. Fill each with two cherries and a bit of pie filling sauce. Replace the cake plug.

Whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Using a frosting tip, pipe whipped cream in a swirl to frost each cupcake. Top with a maraschino cherry. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.






No comments: