Welcome to my world...

Let me begin by telling you I’m not a nutritionist, dietician, or Cordon Bleu Chef. I’ve never even worked in a restaurant. What I am is a wife of over 30 years, a mother, and a grandmother who loves to cook. I have, at times, needed to use all “101 Ways to Cook Hamburger”, made tuna casserole and split pea soup until my husband begged for mercy…and had fun doing it.

As times and finances improved, so did my repertoire. I had the freedom to try more exotic fare, like pork chops. By the time the kids were in high school, I had progressed as far as shrimp and crab. Now the kids are all grown up, it’s just the two of us, and I’ve had to re-learn to cook yet again. Of course, trying new foods and new recipes is part of the fun. My motto is “I’ve never met a recipe I didn’t change.”

That’s what this blog is about, sharing recipes, stories and memories. So, enjoy your food, enjoy your life. And most importantly, don’t forget to have fun, playing with your food.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Rhubarb Season

            In a still-rural part of Portland’s west hills, the Skyline Restaurant, or Skyliner, as it is locally known, hasn’t changed very much since the 1950’s. In the 70's, when I was growning up, it was a gathering place for area teenagers. In the 80's, it was the first restaurant we took our kids to.  Even today, the same red vinyl booths surround the lunch counter, and the same newspaper clippings adorn the wall. Except for prices, the menu hasn’t changed either. They still serve the best huge double-bacon-cheeseburger on the planet. (#12 with bacon.) You can always count on homemade split-pea soup with chunks of ham, clam chowder on Friday, and home-baked pies.
            Some years ago, my husband’s grandparents came to stay with us for a week. One day, we all went for a drive, and ended up at the Skyliner for lunch. We walked in with Papa and Grandma, and were greeted by a waitress nearly their age. She took our order, asking Papa what kind of pie he wanted. “I’ll bet you don’t have rhubarb,” he answered. “That’s my favorite.”
            “I’ll bet you I do, honey!” The waitress grinned. “Coming right up! Would you like that ala mode?”
            I think Grandma was a little jealous of the attention, but she loved the pie just the same.
           









 

       
       In some backyards, rhubarb in spring is as plentiful as zucchini in the summertime. We love it stewed with a bit of sugar, or in the classic strawberry-rhubarb pie.
       The following recipe has been in the family for generations. It's a different use for all that rhubarb. My mother-in-law’s cousin from Texas sent it to her as a list of ingredients with a temperature. A little common sense was all it took to mix it all together and bake until done. Then the fun started. Having an over-abundance of apples, and blackberries free for the picking, I used the batter as a simple cobbler crust.
       Any version is great topped with ice cream, whipped cream, milk or plain with coffee.

Rhubarb Cake
Preheat oven to 350°

Cream:
1 ½ cup sugar  
½ cup shortening

Beat in:
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
                
Sift and mix in until well blended:
2 cups flour     
1 tsp. soda      
¼ tsp. salt

Fold in:
3 cups raw rhubarb, cubed
Pour into greased 9x13 pan.

Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes

Cobbler Variations
Make batter as above, omit rhubarb, and set aside

Apple:                                                                         
Enough large apples, cored and cut into wedges to make 5 cups. In a large glass bowl, combine apples with 1 cup sugar, more or less to taste. Microwave on high until apples begin to soften and juice starts to gather. Stir in 1 tbsp. corn starch.

Berry:
5-6 cups blackberries, raspberries or Marionberries. Sift 1 cup sugar with 1 tbsp corn starch. Fold gently into berries, adding more sugar to taste.

Pour evenly in buttered 13 x 9 baking dish. Spread batter evenly over filling.
Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes


No comments: