Welcome to my world...

Let me begin by telling you I’m not a nutritionist, dietician, or Cordon Bleu Chef. I’ve never even worked in a restaurant. What I am is a wife of over 30 years, a mother, and a grandmother who loves to cook. I have, at times, needed to use all “101 Ways to Cook Hamburger”, made tuna casserole and split pea soup until my husband begged for mercy…and had fun doing it.

As times and finances improved, so did my repertoire. I had the freedom to try more exotic fare, like pork chops. By the time the kids were in high school, I had progressed as far as shrimp and crab. Now the kids are all grown up, it’s just the two of us, and I’ve had to re-learn to cook yet again. Of course, trying new foods and new recipes is part of the fun. My motto is “I’ve never met a recipe I didn’t change.”

That’s what this blog is about, sharing recipes, stories and memories. So, enjoy your food, enjoy your life. And most importantly, don’t forget to have fun, playing with your food.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Cheap and Easy!

            Every cook knows that dried peas are a good source of fiber, protein, and all kinds of other wonderful things. They are also easy to use, very flavorful…and cheap. One of the first things I learned to make as a young, broke, bride was split pea soup. I could get all the ingredients for the soup for less than two dollars. I was delighted to be making such good use of our money. Along with hamburger and tuna, it became a staple at our house.
            We always had open-face “cheese toast” with our split pea soup. Any kind of bread, spread with mayo and horseradish (when we had some), topped with medium cheddar (WIC cheese) and broiled until bubbly. With a pot of soup and a loaf of bread, we were fixed for nearly a week. At first, this was romantic. However, after doing it once a month for a year, my husband begged me to cease and desist.  
            Even today, if I make green split pea soup, I get a sideways glance from the Hub. He never complains, never did back then, either. So, it’s not too much to ask that I not make one or two dishes….ever again.
            These days, I use organic yellow peas, and a honey-baked ham bone. It makes all the difference.
.
Split Pea Soup                         Stove top or Crock Pot
Makes 6-8 servings
.
1 lb. green or yellow split peas
1 smoked ham hock or ½ lb. bacon ends, trimmed
1 medium onion, diced
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 carrot, sliced
6 cups broth, bullion or water
6 peppercorns
1 bay leaf
.
Soak your peas if they require it. Some packages say “no need to soak”. If in doubt, an overnight bath won’t hurt. Either way, rinse and drain.
.
Combine vegetables and broth in crock-pot or Dutch oven. Do not add any salt yet. Some will come from the meat and may intensify. If using bacon ends, trim off excess and par-fry to remove some of the fat. Drain. Add to soup or submerge the ham hock.  
.
Cook in Crock pot on high 6 hours, or simmer covered, on stove top for about 2 hours. Stirring occasionally, adding liquid if needed. Remove bay leaf and ham bone. Chop any meat that clings and return it to the soup. Salt to taste.
.
The longer the soup cooks, the thicker it will become. Once the peas soften, check periodically until desired texture is reached.. 

No comments: